Payroll employees shouldn’t be the weak link in payroll security and confidentiality
In our previous blog we mentioned that many IT security firms identify “people” as the main security threat to business IT networks (read it here). To help ensure that employees are not the weak link in payroll security and confidentiality of business payroll systems we put together this blog with non-tech security tips for payroll staff.
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and while many businesses spend a small fortune on their IT systems and their security, a network can easily be compromised without employee vigilance.
The following are non-technical measures for staff members that can help ensure payroll data security and confidentially, and while this isn’t a fully comprehensive list of measures it’s a good starting point to help a business implement employee payroll processing security improvements.
- Be sure to log off of the payroll system before moving away from your computer
- Don’t give anyone else your login details
- Use complex passwords
- Ensure your computer screen cannot be seen by unauthorised people when working on payroll
- Only store payroll data in your business’ designated space
- You should only access your payroll system from your business’ network. Beware of phishing and hacking when accessing elsewhere.
- Only use the data as it was intended
- Don’t discuss payroll details with or within the hearing distance of unauthorised people
- Only give payroll data to authorised personnel
- If you are outsourcing to a payroll provider ensure that the appropriate legal documents, such as a non-disclosure agreement, are signed and ensure that communication is secure (e.g. sensitive data in emails should be encrypted)
- Limit access levels in the payroll system and stick to the access level that you should have (e.g. if you are only processing tax forms you shouldn’t have access to, and should stay away from, wages and deductions)
There are many other measures that can help ensure payroll data security and confidentiality but a crucial non-tech measure for payroll staff is to Always Be Vigilant – don’t be the weak link in your payroll system.
Paycheck Plus – Payroll Outsource Provider
Here at Paycheck Plus we provide payroll outsource solutions that ensure compliance while keeping data secure and confidential. Our clients can rest assured that their data is safe with us and that their payroll will be delivered on time, every time by our vigilant payroll specialists. We handle compliance, payroll processing and data security which allows payroll teams, HR teams and businesses to operate more efficiently. We also provide a cover service for Payroll staff which gives businesses and payroll teams peace of mind that when a payroll employee gets ill or goes on leave their staff will still be paid.
To ensure payroll accuracy and for expert support contact Paycheck Plus today.
Paycheck Plus – Payroll Excellence